Monday, February 8, 2010

Lemon Basil Pasta with Summer Squash

Here's a new recipe I recently tried:

Lemon Basil Pasta w/ Summer Squash
Ingredients:
2 oz or 2/3 cup whole wheat penne
1/2 cup chopped zuchinni
1/2 cup chopped squash
1/2 cup white beans (rinsed and drained)
1 lemon (juiced)
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1 tbsp. Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp. olive oil

The VERY simple directions:
Boil Pasta, drain. Toss with remaining ingredients.
However...I decided to saute the zuchinni and squash because I don't really like them raw. Also, I added in some chicken. My husband is just too much of a meat & potato guy to hand pasta with no chicken!




Here's a few pictures:

Cutting up the ingredients (Dillon helped)

Sauteed veggies & chicken. I also threw in some chopped basil because I didn't have any fresh basil in the house.

The finished product!

RESULTS:

On a scale of 1-10 I gave it an 8. It was good, but had too much of a lemon flavor. The recipe calls for one lemon, juiced. However, it didn't say a small lemon like it should have! Also, I think it would have gotten a higher rating if I had used fresh basil. It was still a good dish, just not amazing.

Dillon gave it a 6.5. He also thought it was too lemony but also said it was too light, especially for winter. (I agree)

Overall, a good dish. It could use a little spicing up and may be better in the summer or as a lunch dish rather than dinner. Give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment